A sustainable future needs skilled, knowledgeable and passionate new farmers and gardeners, who understand the earth as a whole.
There is no better way to learn holistic biodynamic/organic farming than ‘on the job’. Work based students join a biodynamic/organic farm or garden for a period of two years and learn alongside an experienced professional, similar to an apprenticeship training.
The Crossfields Institute Level 3 Diploma in Biodynamic Farming and Gardening is designed and delivered by us, the BDAC, to support each student in learning – both practically and theoretically, building the resilience and confidence needed to ‘change the world’.
Sustainable agriculture offers solutions for future challenges connected to climate, environment, nutrition, health, economy and well being. By training to work in biodynamic agriculture, you can be part of these solutions for the future.
The BD students should have some experience in land based work. read more
Here are some links that offer you some first experiences in biodynamic/organic farming or gardening. After a few months, you might like to apply to our courses to deepen your experiences and get a professional accredited training.
How it works
Once you have secured a placement, apply to register with us, BDAC for the “Crossfields Institute Level 3 Diploma in Biodynamic Farming and Gardening”. Then you will get individual support and guidance for your two year journey of experience and study. We will give you a work book, that guides you through all units to enable you to build your portfolio for the Diploma.
Start date: as most farms require the students to start in spring or autumn, the first seminar will by in October for most students. However, you can join any time, as the seminars are on a continuous rotation and made flexible for your and farming/gardening needs.
You will be able to pay for this training, by what you earn at your placement. read more
The cost covers:
- registration – application form
- on farm training – two years
- seminars – ten weeks, incl. teaching, accommodation and meals
- training guidance and info
- qualification, regulated by OFQUAL – at UK level 3 and EU -EQF level 4
- individual support (annual visit to your farm, email, phone and tutorials during the seminars)
Follow this link for an overview of the units that make up the qualification: Unit Overview
Seminars provide class room and outdoor teaching, exercises, artistic activities, about 30 teachers from a range of professional backgrounds and offer opportunity to meet fellow students from across the UK, scheduled for the next year: Seminar Overview
Work Placements / Training centres
- Weleda – commercial garden: medicinal herbs & plants, seeds
- Loch Arthur Camphill Community – therapeutic community farm/garden: vegetables, fruit, flowers
- Lauriston Farm – therapeutic community farm/garden: animals, vegetables, conservation landscape
- Camphill Grangemockler – Templemichael Farm -therapeutic community farm/garden: animals, arable, vegetables
- Sturts Farm and Garden – therapeutic community farm/garden: animals, arable, vegetables
- Fern Verrow – commercial small holding: vegetables, fruit, flowers, animals
- Plaw Hatch Farm – CSA – large commercial CSA farm/garden: vegetables
- ASHA Centre – therapeutic garden: vegetables, fruit, flowers, herbs
- Garvald Farm – therapeutic community farm/garden: animals, vegetables
- Yatesbury House Farm – large commercial farm: animals, arable
- Tablehurst Farm & Garden – CSA – large commercial CSA farm: animals, vegetables, arable
- Akiki Organics – commercial garden: vegetables, fruit, chickens
- Laines Organic Farm – commercial garden: vegetables, fruit
- Camphill Ballybay – therapeutic community farm/garden: animals, vegetables
- Cait Curran – small commercial garden: vegetables, nutrition courses
- Laverstoke Farm – commercial farm: dairy, parkland
- Camphill Grangebeg – therapeutic community farm/garden: animals, vegetables
- Camphill Community Duffcarrig -therapeutic community farm/garden: animals, vegetables
currently NO vacancies:
- Huxham Cross Farm – large commercial CSA farm/garden: vegetables, fruit
- Hungary Lane Farm – large commercial farm: animals, arable, vegetables
- Stroud Community Agriculture – CSA – commercial CSA farm/garden: vegetables, animals